Thursday, September 14, 2006

CLIA

Has anyone else seen the latest advertising campaign for government work? Specifically, the commercials on NBC for the CIA.

That's right the Central Intelligence Agency WANTS YOU.

Now, I am not one to bash our government or any of its parts. I may not agree with them, but I don't subscribe to name calling or bashing, I simply state my opinion. I use my words. And I try to get involved to effect change at the level that I am at.

However this is the most absurd thing I have ever seen. This commercial is begging the public to join the "secret and Clandestine" forces of the CIA.

Now I ask you - Just exactly how secret and clandestine is it, if they have a 2 minute spot advertising that they are down in numbers and please join them on National Television?

Think about it. Recall the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and the respective Reserves commercials looking for recruits? Uncle Sam Wants You, Go to College on the GI bill and then imagine what an illegal terrorist in our country could be surmising from these National commercials? I can say that as an American when I see those commercials I get a few thoughts in my head. One is that they are trying to keep a positive message out there to young people to keep this option open. The other is that our troops are low or not on the home front these days? It does beg a question in my mind.

Clearly they must advertise like everyone else. Colleges Advertise, Churches advertise. If you don't get your establishment publicized in some form or fashion how will people know about it? I just wonder who their in house publicity team is and how wise it is to advertise in this fashion. I'm assuming our tax dollars are hard at work paying the best of the best in advertising so of course I am confused by the language chosen.

Come on now. It really LACKS intelligence to tell the free world that our Centralized Intelligence Agency is down for the count and we are looking for recruits on National TV. If they had stuck to that specific language it probably wouldn't be so bad. But they added the words "secret and Clandestine". That just made me think that these people are just not that bright. I mean. If it is "secret" why broadcast. Have they even looked up the definition of the word Clandestine?

The fact is we all know what the CIA is, more or less. Does the public know the details? Not as much as you would think. The CIA has gotten a good deal of bad press in the past few years. However they are a necessary part of our government and they are tasked with the difficult job of providing the information needed to keep this Country safe. Then they go and put up this commercial. I really question their good judgement. Or hell, their judgement, good or otherwise.

Perhaps Dustin Hoffman was right - maybe it is the "Central Lack of Intelligence Agency" after all.

1 comment:

Vinny said...

Maybe it's part of a larger disinformation campaign. Tell them we're hurting, then WHAM! Hit 'em with the kitchen sink.

I saw it on Star Trek once. Or was it Bugs Bunny?