Sunday, January 04, 2009

Acupuncture - the final frontier

You the know the thing about being a caretaker is the tendancy to OVERLOOK your needs in lieu of someone else's is very easy.

I used to e pretty adept at juggling both. However, this holiday, while I did not suffer from the ever present slippery sliding slope to depression like last year and previous years, it manifested in my skin. So I was feeling happier and more control but looked gross. Last year I looked great but felt like crap.

Tough call.

I'm tired of being asked "What's wrong with your Face" or "Are you OK?" or "Your eyes look terrible" or my favorite "Did you wash your hands before you touched that?"

OK people - it's JUST eczema. I do NOT have leprosy I swear. I have seen countless doctors and they have seen me. I have tried everything that western medicine has to offer and it only provides temporary, if any, relief. I have changed my skin care and this could be so much worse except that the skin care is holding me pretty well.

So After my trusted friend and massage therapist did a treatment including a reiki session, she suggested acupuncture.

oh HELL no. I am NOT having needles plunged into my skin. and how the hell is THAT going to help my skin? Sticking holes in it??? Really??? doubtful.

BUt she proceeded to send me to website after website and I spoke to some of her friends who are acupuncturists and honestly - I decided to give it a whirl.

The irony is that the acupuncturist that she and I decided on is someone I actually know. The sister of an acquaintance ( used to be a close friend but it's been too long to go back to that).

So given all the stresses of late -both good AND bad - I need to tackle this from a different perspective.

I did some dietary research as well. We both need to lighten up on the dairy and start eating better veggies and fruits. This should help maintain me and help alleviate the gout he suffers from too.

So send me some good thoughts tomorrow - that's the first treatment!

1 comment:

Mrs. Gregory said...

Stay open-minded, chica. I know SEVERAL people who have gone to acupuncturists for a variety of ills, and they all SWEAR by it. Good luck tomorrow! <3