Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I hate my Ipod

I probably won't in the future, but for the time being....

I hate my Ipod.

I seriously considered running it over with the car this morning. I didn't. I couldn't justify 150.00 under the wheels of my car. And it was too cold. I didn't feel like going out.

I was up until 2AM working on this thing and for all the music I own on my laptop - do you know what song it found? O Holy Night performed by Bernie. First off, I don't know how or when it ended up on my drive, second, I love hearing that song sung by him ( he can sing anything and frankly I would love it). So there's the questionable with the good part.

So I finally get Itunes working properly. I finally get some settings on this thing that make sense.

I already subscribe to a music service that supposedly allows me to transfer any music that I have already purchased through them onto my ipod.

It's a major tease though, because it shows the ipod on the screen, it tells me all I have to do is drag and drop the tracks onto it and that's it.

Alas But no. This is now looking bad. I have killed the software for the music service I belong to. So bad. So costly in terms of time.

This morning I call in and get a nice young man to help me through this. YAY this takes 5 minutes ad works perfectly.

Software works again. Ipod still cannot accept transfers but I happen along some additional information on this and I re-configured Itunes, Rhapsody and the Ipod itself, and it would seem that I am stsill clearly doing something wrong.

I will be calling technical support again tomorrow.

It's embarassing to be honest. The fact is I have worked at technical jobs most of my life. I am more than capable of doing these things. And it irks me to no end that a 12 year old has no problem with this thing and the little pictorial with 4 words or less instruction booklet that comes with it.

All in all I think I will like it, but I have to get this software crap ironed out because it's making me nuts and I KNOW the answer is there. I JUST KNOW IT.

So meanwhile I am adding my CD's that I want on there.

Oh and I added Bernie's World ( first! well after O Holy Night) .

3 comments:

post-doc said...

I've only used iTunes, so I can only ignorantly sympathize with the software trouble. But, yes, once you get things up and running, the iPod is a truly wondrous device. As with all technical things though, when it goes badly, it's enormously frustrating.

Vinny said...

Have you tried "add to library" in the File menu? Also, if you let iTunes manage your library (preferences) it will gather all the music on your hard drive and put it in your iTunes library.

for the Rhapsody stuff, you may have to burn it onto a CD and then import to iTunes. A lot of these music services don't play nice with one another.

I know when I buy from iTunes, the first thing I do is burn a CD, just in case I lose the files or I have to use it on another device.

Welcome to World 2.0!

MapleMama said...

What a pain in the iButt!

Here is Rhapsody's iPod support page - it does look terribly complicated. Sorry!

It will be worth it once you get it all figured out!! In the meantime, enjoy "O Holy Night!"