Friday, December 15, 2006

A day off

I took today off at the last possible second.

The fact is I was supposed to have been able to take off last Friday and Monday but with family situations at hand I was unable to. So last night at 7PM I called my boss and told him that I was taking the day and my cover was taking Monday.

Seriously I needed a day to get organized. Of course I wasted some time. I wouldn't be me if I didn't do that.

But I got my Christmas decorating done except for the tree which I will do tomorrow night with my Hot Cocoa in hand.

I taught a lesson today. It was a real challenge. My Friday kids ( a brother and sister) are two of my long standing kids and quite possibly my favorites.

I swear my parents are getting their money's worth for the Child Psychology classes I had to take to graduate. Seriously.

The sister of this crew I have talked about before. Very Bright, very driven, all honors classes and busts herself to get all A's. and succeeds. But not without a price.

Time is her enemy. She tries hard but like me, wastes time on silly things. We have tried to work out time mgmt techniques, but she's stubborn and doesn't want to change. That's OK. It's not my job to fix ALL of her issues. Technically it's my job to make sure she's doing what she's supposed to for ME. Being a "fixer", I had hit my head against a wall for two years.

Today I stopped.

And not with the negative connotations that implies either. Honestly, not to pat myself on the back, but I think I did the best job with her that I have ever done in my life.

I asked her what made her happy. What is she doing that makes her happy. I told her to tell me the first thing that comes to mind and it can literally be anything.

She was quiet for a long time.

Then she told me she really doesn't like school. But since it's required she needs to be as good as she can be at it.

OK, I can respect that answer out of a 13 year old. She's been at it long enough to know that she really doesn't like it, but she does want to do her best at it. And she does.

So we talk about it for a few minutes. Then she mentions that her friends make her happy. Normal 13 year old response. That made me feel better about her.

The I asked her about Music. Independent of school. If there were no obstacles, does she enjoy the piano and practicing.

I held my breath on the answer because we are on the final straw here......

"I love music" she says.

"So yes, if I had it to do my way, I would do that". she says as a tear slides down her face.

"OK, that makes me very happy. So lets find a way to keep you happy." I say

" I have 3-5 hours of homework every night" she says. "I just can't fit it in".

(The tears are still flowing)

" Your homework for me is 30 minutes. School works is 3-5 hours". I say

She laughs. ( still crying)

"Why don't you come home from school, put your book bag away - DO NOT SIT DOWN - get a drink and go down and practice immediately. At least 15 minutes - the whole 30 if you can swing it. then you are done. For the entire day. "

She looks at me in wonder.

"That might actually work" she says.

As I am hugging her, I whisper in her ear....

" You are so good, so talented and such a bright young lady. You are so capable. You can DO this. I know you can. We are going to do this together. Don't give up on me. "

She hugs me back and whispers "I won't - I promise!"

I truly felt that I made a difference with her today.

Then we ended up on the floor under the ping pong table coaxing her brother out who was crying.

I need combat pay.

1 comment:

post-doc said...

Being a teenager is hard. Knowing what to offer them in terms of advice and support can also be difficult. It sounds like you handled your friend beautifully - I'm truly glad she has you in her life.