Do good things for the world and the world will do good things for you.
Or something like that.
My good deeds are mostly about myself lately but I think it's long overdue.
You see, this season has been magical and special in many many good ways. More so than other years. I am far more lighthearted and positive than ever before and I am truly enjoying this holiday season so much more than I have since I was a child actually.
You see, I made the peace with an old friend. We are far from OK, but we are both on the same road and willing to see where it goes and I think that's just magicall after four years. Before that my brother and I came around a turn and we are much closer than before. That makes me practically gleeful to be honest. Then there are my parents - pretty good before but we have notched it up to almost overdrive now and we are really enjoying one another in ways I don't remember. Even during the funeral lunch, my step-dad's cousins and my mom and I were howling with laughter and talking and catching up and having just the best time.
So today, mumbling and grumbling because I had to go to my office in the city and I seriously don't do that because A. I hate the commute and B. I am not a morning person. I had to be up at 6:30 to be there by 9.
So I am in the office and annoyed. Poodle and I decided to go get a Starbucks coffee. That cheered me a little but still annoyed. I open my boss's agenda for our staff meeting to see the following statement:
"The Process is not our friend"
I almost died laughing. I am project manager. The process is the whole basis of my job. I told Poodle that when we got to that point in the meeting that I was not planning to comment and if I did start to comment, to please kick me so that I stop.
So we get to part of the meeting and he and his boss start discussing how we should all have Project Mgmt training. Stop it already. I am one step from PMP certified.
Moving right along and I am still annoyed, we wrap the meeting up and our boss hands out gifts ( Did I mention the HUGE box of Italian cookies he brouught too??? NO???? he did, we ate, they were good.). I open mine and it is a leather Coach CD case. It's really quite lovely. I am really quite stunned. I never really believed he appreciated us to be honest.
So Poodle and I start to go out to lunch and we invite Tommy. He never socializes and so he decides to come along. We go to our favorite restaurant, Figs.
This is where the story gets funny. But the Karma thing is still working for me..... read on.
We walk to the restaurant. We sit down, we order our drinks and discuss some of the funnier crazy things our boss does ( you probably wouldn't believe them unless you worked here seriously). The drinks come and Tommy is putting his straw in.
"Hey Tommy, what's that on your glass?" asks Poodle
"I don't know.... uh oh" says Tommy
"What? What is it" I say
Tommy gestures to the waitress, points to his glass. Her eyes bulge, she takes the glass and walks away.
"Tommy what happened" I ask
"A cockroach" he whispers
I start laughing. Internally my stomach is flipping in a squishy yucky way. But I think to myself, we eat here all the time, the place is ridiculously clean, This is Manhattan and they are doing construction right above the restaurant.
"They'll probably comp the lunch" I jokingly say
20 minutes elapses and we are starting wonder if they went out to buy new soda when they waitress and a tall woman appear.
"Your lunch is on us, we are so very sorry. The exterminator has been called to come immediately" We apprecaite you handling this so nicely. Anything you want or need at all, please let us know."
I got my free lunch and it was wonderful. We eat there a lot so I know this is a quality place. I believe that random little bug was a transplant from above and truthfully I am really glad I idn't actually see it as I have a morbid disgust for all bugs.
We tipped the waitress really well. ( Another shot for Karma!)
The moral of the story is
The cockroach can get you a free lunch. It doesn't mean the restuarant is infested ( we literally eat there all the time and they are rated very highly in NYC).
It was a well played out version of Victor / Victoria.
2 comments:
I'm positively gleeful that you seem so upbeat! It's a wonderful time of the year to be happy - I'm so glad for you.
My first apartment (I lived there for 2 miserable months) in grad school was infested with roaches. If I so much as hear about one, I itch all over. I'm glad you didn't actually see it and that you all enjoyed your lunch in spite of the miserable creature. It's an excellent example of looking on the bright side. :)
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwww!
But hey - gotta love a free lunch!
Glad things are so good for you honey! Makes me almost as happy as throwing snowballs out 6th story windows with you! :)
Post a Comment