So, I had a performance today.
One of the groups I perform with regularly does a fund raiser ( for themselves no less) one time per year. This year we did it in our church.
The fundraiser features 2 -4 numbers by the chorale that are light and fun and then solo's, duet's, trios etc..... it's great fun and is usually excellent.
We had a really good house and this year we did a severely reduced rate to bring in two adult group homes. It was such a joy to see how much they were enjoying themselves. All adults.
One young man sat at a table on stage right. He was very sweet, smiled at everyone and said hello. He conducted when the director did and was truly enjoying himself.
Until the solo acts started.
Now to be fair, I didn't notice it with anyone else because I was not scanning the crowd for reactions to the different acts. I watched and laughed and cried with all different types of music and every single person did a phenomenal job. We heard songs from Yentl, Die Fledermaus, Three Penny Opera ( NOT Mack the Knife), some wonderful little known Cole Porter tunes ( THe little Oyster if you can find it has lyrics that will make your sides hurt from laughing and Cherry Pies Aughta be you is another absolute sided splitter), Romeo and Juliet, Rigoletto, Josh Grobin, My Fair Lady - literally everything all over board.
My Tune was Je Veux Vivre from Romeo and Juliette. One I wanted to do on my recital program and it was ready then, but we didn't and I don't remember why. Be that as it may, it's a really beautiful Waltz tune and has some good opps for the singer to show off their voices.
So I am really doing a good job ( I suck at memorizing and I was really stressed about that) so far and I feel I am getting good feed back form the audience as I continue. I hit the last note, A sustained High C. I happen to look stage right and happy young man from group home yells out TOO LOUD and stands up and covers his ears.
I nearly burst out laughing. It had such comic overtones that I had to stop looking that way till that note, and the song , was over. I would have fallen over laughing - I'm telling you,
So, at the end of the concert, people were telling me what a wonderful I and the group did, but do you know more people came over to tell me about the young guy yelling? I couldn't stop laughing. Evidently according to everyone else he had been doing it to everyone all through the concert except for the men. This was nice to hear because that would have sucked if he had saved that up for me.
Cute musician man who we haven't heard from in awhile was there. He was the one who shared with me that young man was doing that to everyone. Of course musician man appeared to be unable to determine that I was singing in French. I was concerned briefly that my words weren't reaching the back of the room when I heard that but no, that wasn't it, He was sleeping! His brother woke him halfway through my number when they realized it was me.... Very funny. He got a promotion by the way.... :-) I don't anticipate anything major happening here to be honest, which is sad for him really. ( That is how I am looking at it... so just go with that for now. )
So I have to say.....
This, was a first!
2 comments:
Congratulations on what sounds to be a beautiful performance! And, yes, it's very, very sad for him if he fails to get to know you better. Good for you for seeing it that way.
Congratulations on your performance! What an interesting reaction from a very excitable man ... and props to you for having the ability to go on without bursting into laughter!
Post a Comment