First Impressions are sometimes fatal.
I have spoken of a family situation of late for you guys and there is something new that has not been written about but I think is a good thing.
I have had a negative view of my family until recently. Oh I love them - so much. I have amazing respect for all of them but nevertheless, negativity.
And I know why. And it's NOT WHO I AM to be like that.
I think in some unique way that this situation had more good come of it than bad. I can't emphasize enough how valuable this lesson has been to me. I allowed someone else's opinion to formulate my own. I am much smarter than that. I was kicking myself for awhile after I realized it because I lost time with people I love because I allowed this person to put the wedge in.
Knowing this, I have my guard up against that. I won't relax it either because the relationships that were once strained are so much more relaxed and easy and I am not interested in sacrificing that for another person who can't give me the love and support that the rest of the family can.
I went against my actual upbringing. Sometimes that's good, and sometimes its not. This was a poor choice on my part and I will be working hard moving forward to address and make sure it doesn't happen again.
My mom always said it bothered her that her children weren't close. Now I won't assume responsibility for the other 4, but I can certainly make sure that I am more accessible to my siblings and work to build those relationships up.
This is a golden opportunity that I don't intend to pass up!
No comments:
Post a Comment