I had my "best friend bullshit-o-meter" installed about a month ago.
This is the neat meter that enables the woman in his life to determine what is fact and what is BS.
His younger sister alerted me to it during the crisis of both cars being dead at the same time. I mentioned that there was something wrong with his odometer and she held up her hand and said " I refuse to listen to anything where he and cars are concerned. He does not and will not take care of them".
Hunh.
That's odd - because I recall the conversation about 2 months ago where he said he still had time before he needed an oil change.
(Picture me scratching me head and looking confused)
Then she said - "Do you have your best-friend-bullshit-o-meter tuned up?"
That's when I realized mine must be outdated as I had it installed about 10 years ago but because we broke up and stopped speaking for awhile I let the updates lapse.
So I had it tweaked and updated and tuned up and all that.
And Guess what???
That's right.
It works.
Get this.
We both had business to conduct last night. We both expectd to be home by 9. He wanted an early night as he had an MRI the next day.
I should warn you that he has a claustrophobia thing. So he went ahead and checked out the machine and the room the day before to make sure it wouldn't drive him too batty. He knew it was closed but decided to go ahead with it anyway.
I arrived home at 10 and he wasn't back yet. Not surprised that he wasn't home yet, I went about doing what needed to be done. Next thing I knew - it was 1AM.
I call to make sure that he isn't dead. He was on his way home. He ended up finishing his business and played an impromptu gig that payed. Not too shabby.
He got home and it was clear that he had been drinking. Not too heavily but heavily enough. I pretty much predicted at that moment that the MRI wasn't happening.
This morning I wake up and the first thing out of his mouth
"I'm not having the MRI today"
Duh. Really?
"why not?" ( I already know)
"The Claustrophobia thing" he says, not looking at me.
come on now - who are you kidding?
"I thought you were going to suck it up and do it anyway? What changed" ( the vodka that's what)
"I had a dream about it." (At your age - this is the best you can do???)
"Well you need to call and reschedule it - let's do that now. It needs to be done prior to the radiation. " I say - handing him his phone.
"Yes - I"ll do that now....." He gets up to leave
Following him.... "Why don't you ask if you can be medicated before putting you in - valium or something"....
"OK good idea...." Not that many places to go within the house.....
I start working and I hear him on the phone.
The next thing that happened was he spent the day in bed.
I guess that Bullshit-o-meter works pretty well.
1 comment:
Many, many people are lightly sedated before having an MRI. It's incredibly important to lie still, so if a patient is out of it, the techs are all the happier. Remind him that his whole body won't go in - for head and neck, his legs (and possibly part of his torso) will be outside the magnet. Most locations offer headphones and music (as opposed to ear plugs alone) so he might want to ask if he can bring a favorite CD if it calms him. We don't like people to be miserable - I promise it's very easy and, if he can lie still and avoid repeating scans due to motion artifacts, doesn't take too, too long.
Post a Comment