I had my first rehearsal with the Clarinetist for "The Shepherd on the Rock".
The first words out of her mouth were "Are you Eric's daughter?"
This follows me forever. In a good way.
My dad was well known and well respected in the music education industry. I live in the town where he taught and retired from for 27 years. He has taught kids that are 16 NOW through 50 years old this year. Isn't that an amazing fact?
So I can't go too many places in my town without hearing "Are you related to Mr Contessa?" It's funny too, because it keeps a little part of my dad alive.
So when this lovely woman asked me that, first thing in the morning, with my coffee not even opened yet, I was stopped dead in my tracks.
Of course I said yes. But the words I expected to hear next didn't come.
Usually that is followed with something along the lines of, "I'm so sorry" or "What a terrible loss to you and your family AND the music community" or "How sad, he was so young".
But she said " I remember you as little girl tagging along with your dad. You are just taller now. I remember from the NMEA conferences. I too, am a past president".
Once we got to talking I realized that she wasn't even aware that my parents had divorced when I was 7. The only person she knows my father married to s my step mom. That's OK - that was the bulk of his adult life. She had no idea that I have a younger brother with the same name as my dad.
Now, don't get me wrong, I don't expect that level of detail to be out there publicly. That's absurd. Until today, its the first time I have come across someone who knew my family but didn't know that level of detail. It took me off guard for moment.
I really like her though. She immediately took my name and number to add to the private teacher list in the district where she teaches. She is an incredible performer. She and I have one of my classmates in common. She teaches with a young woman who was a couple of years younger than me and married a wonderful man from my class. A horrible tragedy on their honeymoon took his life and left her's literally hanging in the balance. Thirteen years later, she has recovered, remarried and has 3 stepchildren and 2 of her own. Her baby is heading to Kindergarten this fall. It was very happy ending for me.
The rehearsal went well on this tune. Its a killer for all three parts - there will be no phoning this one in for any of us. And we are all perfectionists - hence the 2 hour rehearsal and another on Tuesday night.
It sounds good though. I'm really feeling good about it.
I many have to re-program where Queen of the night is.... I don't want to do it at the end and risk not having those top notes. I'm a little nervous there.
I dedicated this program to my dad. He would be so proud if he were alive. And I know he will be there.
oh and a little note - there is most definately a seat for both you and Maple Mama and we can catch up at my moms after!
No comments:
Post a Comment